Monday, March 7, 2011

What Business is Our Business

I first fell in love with educational technology when I was a principal of a high school that took on the 1:1 initiative. This is coming from a guy that didn't send an email until 2002 when my daughter moved away to college. You are right I was forced to in order to stay in touch with her. I also found that we had to force staff members to use the technology, but it was so cool to see the kids teaching our teachers what the computers would do.

I still enjoy investigating what is out there and there are just two criteria I use 1) it has to be very user friendly and 2) it has to be free.

As much as I like the new innovations and talking about educational reform I know we are in the people business and schools always will be and no matter what innovations come along, we are about people. Whether its dealing with parents, our support staff, the state department, or the most important commodity we have the kids. When I see them every morning come into our school I forget about twitter, edmodo, or what I've read that morning on my favorite blogs. Lest we never forget what business is our business-just keep this in my mind: Elementary teachers just love their students, secondary teachers just love their discipline, and college professors just love themselves. Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment